Pampore Encounter Enters Third Day, Heavy Firing Going On
Two army officers are among five security personnel who have been killed while fighting militants in an encounter in south Kashmir's Pampore area that has been on for over 40 hours. A civilian was also killed in the gunbattle that began on Saturday afternoon.
Three to five militants are still believed to be hiding inside the four storey building of Jammu and Kashmir Entrepreneurship Development Institute (JKEDI) on the outskirts of Srinagar.
The militants sneaked into the EDI building in Pampore after attacking a CRPF convoy along the Srinagar-Jammu highway on Saturday.
Around 20 people, including government employees, who were trapped inside the main building of the complex were evacuated on Saturday. Around 90 others were also taken to safety from nearby buildings.
The entire area around the encounter site has been sealed and the highway has been closed. Heavy firing and loud explosions could be heard from the building.
This is the first major attack near Srinagar in the last six years.(Agencies)
- We Will Hit Roads If Passport Office Is Shifted From Baramulla: Congress
- Mir Iqbal Condemns Hindu Ikta Manch Rally In Kathua
- Fazili Condemns Assault On Kashmiri Students
- Peace Is Imperative For Development: Fazili
- 6 Killed And 19 Injured As Bus Falls Into Deep Gorge In Udhampur
- Sarfaraz Should Not Make An Excuse of “Tough Conditions” For Defeat Against New Zealand
- 70 Homeless People Dead Due To Intense Cold Wave In UP
- RS Chairman Venkaiah Naidu Sends Privilege Notice To Lok Sabha Against Rahul Gandhi
The Security agencies are facing a tough trend of militant sympathizer civilians disrupting anti insurgency operations leading to innocent killings. T...
National Conference President Dr Farooq Abdullah on Sunday reiterated the crucial need for sustained and meaningful dialogue between India and Pakista...
Separatist leader Masrat Alam Bhat was re-arrested outside the Kot Bhalwal Jail in Jammu, reports said on Wednesday. Alam was released on t...