Kashmiri Shia Community Decries Execution Of Religious Preacher, Stages Protests
Police used teargas shells to disperse Shia protesters in Kashmir capital Srinagar on Monday who were protesting against the execution of cleric Sheikh Nimr Al-Nimr in Saudi Arabia.
Despite curfew-like restrictions in areas falling under police stations Zadibal and Rainawari, groups of people Monday staged protests in certain pockets of Srinagar city.
Eyewitnesses told CNS that a group of people from the community tried to take out a protest march in Kanikach and Chowdhry Bagh areas of Rainawari, however, police stopped them from proceedings towards the main road.
Reports said that protesters hurled stones on police who retaliated by bursting tear-smoke shells.
Similar protests were reported from Saidakadal and Zadibal area where police also used tear-smoke shells to disperse the protesters.
Amid anti-Saudi slogans, the people from the community organized a protest near Ali Park Zadibal, however, police foiled it and dispersed the protesters.
Shia-majority areas like Budgam, Magam and Khanda also witnessed peaceful protests.
In Budgam, National Conference leader Agha Ruhullah addressed the protesters.
He condemned the execution of Shia cleric. “Killing a scholar just because he would criticize the regime is unjustified and tyrannical,” he said.(Agencies)
- Kathua Rape and Murder : Kathua Students Rallied Against Communal Forces
- Unidentified Persons Snatch Service Rifle Of Bank Guard In Shopian
- Protests Seeking Justice For Kathua Girl Turn Violent In Anantnag, Seven Injured
- Body Of 28-Year-Old Man Recovered Under Mysterious Conditions In Poonch
- SPO Among Two Injured As Suspected Militants Open Fire In Shopian
- Army Officer Injured In Accidental Fire At Kupwara
- Army Porter Killed In Uri Cross-Border Shelling
- BJP Confirms Resignation Of Ganga, Lal Singh
Two days after her acquittal by a Delhi court, rights activist Irom Sharmila is continuing her fast unto death in her security room in Imphal's J.N. I...
The government on Monday said the battle in Kashmir was between the country and the separatists and that violence fometed from across the border will ...
Bosnia’s Muslim religious leader Husein Kavazovic urged authorities on Tuesday to act after he was threatened by a presumed Islamic State gro...