Kashmiri Shia Community Decries Execution Of Religious Preacher, Stages Protests
Police used teargas shells to disperse Shia protesters in Kashmir capital Srinagar on Monday who were protesting against the execution of cleric Sheikh Nimr Al-Nimr in Saudi Arabia.
Despite curfew-like restrictions in areas falling under police stations Zadibal and Rainawari, groups of people Monday staged protests in certain pockets of Srinagar city.
Eyewitnesses told CNS that a group of people from the community tried to take out a protest march in Kanikach and Chowdhry Bagh areas of Rainawari, however, police stopped them from proceedings towards the main road.
Reports said that protesters hurled stones on police who retaliated by bursting tear-smoke shells.
Similar protests were reported from Saidakadal and Zadibal area where police also used tear-smoke shells to disperse the protesters.
Amid anti-Saudi slogans, the people from the community organized a protest near Ali Park Zadibal, however, police foiled it and dispersed the protesters.
Shia-majority areas like Budgam, Magam and Khanda also witnessed peaceful protests.
In Budgam, National Conference leader Agha Ruhullah addressed the protesters.
He condemned the execution of Shia cleric. “Killing a scholar just because he would criticize the regime is unjustified and tyrannical,” he said.(Agencies)
- Peace Is Imperative For Development: Fazili
- 6 Killed And 19 Injured As Bus Falls Into Deep Gorge In Udhampur
- Sarfaraz Should Not Make An Excuse of “Tough Conditions” For Defeat Against New Zealand
- 70 Homeless People Dead Due To Intense Cold Wave In UP
- RS Chairman Venkaiah Naidu Sends Privilege Notice To Lok Sabha Against Rahul Gandhi
- Pandit Ulhas Bapat, Santoor Maestro And Close Associate Of RD Burman, Dies At 67
- Rajnikanth And Kamal Hassan To Share Dias In Malaysia
- Russia Accuses US Of ‘Interfering’ In Iran
Srinagar: Kashmiris have witnessed many theaters from Jashn-I-Kashmir till today’s Modi rally but these dramas have and will never succeed in...
A boy attempted to end his life by consuming some poisonous substance in Kulgam last evening, police said today. They said that in an attempt to end ...