Clashes In Kashmir Capital After Police Foil ‘Thank You JNU’ March
Authorities on Friday scuttled a march here by a group of youth carrying posters of Afzal Guru and messages like 'Thank you, JNU', leading to clashes near the historic Jamia Masjid.
Soon after the Friday prayers at Kashmir's main mosque, a group of youth, shouting pro-freedom slogans, tried to take out a march towards Nowhatta Chowk, police said.
Some of the youth were carrying the flags of Pakistan and ISIS group as also the posters of Afzal Guru who was hanged in New Delhi's Tihar Jail on February 9, 2013, police said.
A youth was also carrying a poster which read: 'Thank You JNU', the police added.
Police and paramilitary forces stopped the march, triggering clashes in Nowhatta area which spread to adjoining areas like Gojwara, and Saraf Kadal, they said.
The youth pelted stones on the forces who fired several tear-smoke canisters to disperse the protesters, police said.
No one was injured in these clashes, they said.(Agencies)
- Watch | Government Of India Decided Not To Extend Ceasefire In Kashmir
- Watch | Two More Militants Killed In Ongoing Bandipora Operation
- Updated | Army Solider Abducted By Suspected Militants In Pulwama
- Forces Naka Party Attacked In Pulwama
- 4.0 Magnitude Earthquake Jolts Parts Of Kashmir Valley, Epicentre In Uttarkashi Region
- Two Militants, Army Soldier Killed In Ongoing Bandipora Operation: Army