Clashes In Kashmir Capital After Police Foil ‘Thank You JNU’ March
Authorities on Friday scuttled a march here by a group of youth carrying posters of Afzal Guru and messages like 'Thank you, JNU', leading to clashes near the historic Jamia Masjid.
Soon after the Friday prayers at Kashmir's main mosque, a group of youth, shouting pro-freedom slogans, tried to take out a march towards Nowhatta Chowk, police said.
Some of the youth were carrying the flags of Pakistan and ISIS group as also the posters of Afzal Guru who was hanged in New Delhi's Tihar Jail on February 9, 2013, police said.
A youth was also carrying a poster which read: 'Thank You JNU', the police added.
Police and paramilitary forces stopped the march, triggering clashes in Nowhatta area which spread to adjoining areas like Gojwara, and Saraf Kadal, they said.
The youth pelted stones on the forces who fired several tear-smoke canisters to disperse the protesters, police said.
No one was injured in these clashes, they said.(Agencies)
- Mir Iqbal Condemns Shopian Killings
- We Will Hit Roads If Passport Office Is Shifted From Baramulla: Congress
- Mir Iqbal Condemns Hindu Ikta Manch Rally In Kathua
- Fazili Condemns Assault On Kashmiri Students
- Peace Is Imperative For Development: Fazili
- 6 Killed And 19 Injured As Bus Falls Into Deep Gorge In Udhampur
- Sarfaraz Should Not Make An Excuse of “Tough Conditions” For Defeat Against New Zealand
- 70 Homeless People Dead Due To Intense Cold Wave In UP
Scores of inhabitants of Saraf Kadal Thursday took to streets against the recently implemented National Food Security Act (NFSA) and blocked the ma...
Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi on Thursday said the Narendra Modi government was imposing right-wing RSS ideology on the student community in...