As Police Clampdown on Youth, South Kashmir Erupts Again
Islamabad: The south Kashmir’s Anantag town today again erupted in protests after police detained scores of youth during nocturnal raids who allegedly participated in the protests in last four days against the killing of trucker Zahid Rasool in Undhampur district by Hindu fanatics.
According to eye witnesses, large number of people took to the roads in Mattan Chowk and accused police of “highhandedness”. They said police rounded up several youth in the township which were mourning the death of Zahid and protested against this communal murder. As soon the protests started, the people from various other localities including women and children joined them and demanded the release of youth detained by police.
The locals said that police started nocturnal raids after township returned to normalcy on Saturday after remaining tense for over four days when Zahid died in Safder Gunj Hospital in Delhi due to severe burn injuries. He was set afire on 9 October by a mob of Hindu fanatics in Udhampur district and was later shifted to Safder Gunj Hospital for specialized treatment.
"This is irony that Hindus in Jammu are allowed to take out rallies carrying arms and here we are not even being allowed to mourn the killings of our loved ones. Mufti has betrayed the people of the valley in general and of his constituency in particular. If the boys detained by police during last few days are not released the situation in the town will take an ugly turn," said a protester, Mohammad Jabar
- Peace Is Imperative For Development: Fazili
- 6 Killed And 19 Injured As Bus Falls Into Deep Gorge In Udhampur
- Sarfaraz Should Not Make An Excuse of “Tough Conditions” For Defeat Against New Zealand
- 70 Homeless People Dead Due To Intense Cold Wave In UP
- RS Chairman Venkaiah Naidu Sends Privilege Notice To Lok Sabha Against Rahul Gandhi
- Pandit Ulhas Bapat, Santoor Maestro And Close Associate Of RD Burman, Dies At 67
- Rajnikanth And Kamal Hassan To Share Dias In Malaysia
- Russia Accuses US Of ‘Interfering’ In Iran
Alirajpur (MP): Two 'chadars' placed at separate 'dargahs' (mausoleums) were today found burnt in the town here, which is part ...
Srinagar: Hurriyat Conference (g) chairperson Syed Ali Geelani tried to move out of his residence to take out ‘Srinagar Million march’ ...